Tom Kha Gai
Serving Size : 6
4 cups chicken stock
4 pieces galangal, peeled -- 1/2" thick
2 stalks lemongrass -- cut in 3-4 inch pieces
6 lime leaves
1 pound chicken thigh without skin -- thinly sliced
1 onion -- thinly sliced, about 1/2 cup
8 ounces mushrooms -- sliced, mix of oyster and shitake
3 Tablespoons fish sauce
3 Tablespoons lime juice
4 Thai chiles -- flowered. *See instructions
1 Thai Chile -- thinly sliced
2 tomatoes -- cut in bite size pieces
14 ounces coconut milk
1/4 cup cilantro -- pretty leaves and chopped stems
1/4 cup basil leaves -- chiffonade
1 lime -- cut in wedges
1. Pour stock into a saucepan. Using the back of a knife, lightly smash the galangal and lemongrass. Add galangal, lemongrass, and lime leaves to the stock, then bring to a gentle boil. Simmer for 8-10 minutes to steep the flavors together.
2. Strain the broth to remove solids. Add the thinly sliced chicken, and return to a boil.
[Chiles : Make cuts from the tip of the chile to about halfway to the stem (or higher, depending on desired heat). With 3-4 cuts, it will appear to be a closed tulip. Trim the stem of the chile to just above the cap. Float in the liquid to add desired heat. ]
3. After 15 minutes, skim any froth from the broth, and then add onions, mushrooms, fish sauce, lime juice, and chiles. Simmer for another 10 minutes, then remove the stemmed chiles. (Leave in longer for more heat)
4. Lastly, add the tomato pieces, and pour in the coconut milk. Simmer until soup is uniformly hot, but not boiling. (Taste for salt; add salt or lime juice to your preference)
5. Place cilantro and basil in the bottom of the serving bowls, and ladle the hot broth over them. Serve with a small lime wedge.
Note: Soup can be prepared a day ahead through step 3. When ready to serve, bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat and add tomatoes with coconut milk. Continue to serving instructions.
Galangal : 1 1/2" piece of ginger root, peeled and sliced + 1 T lemon zest
Lemongrass : Use 1 Tablespoon of the squeeze tube lemongrass
Lime Leaves: 1 Tablespoon of lime zest + 3 Tablespoons (more) lime juice
Thai Chiles : 3 Serrano chiles, with one half of a serrano sliced
Coconut milk : 1 cup evaporated milk + 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving : 291 Calories; 19g Fat (57.3% calories from fat); 13g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 37mg Cholesterol; 1489mg Sodium.