Finding something different to feed the family for breakfast can be a challenge. This recipe hearkens back to the 1930's, and fits in the "easy" category for today's life.
Marion Cunningham's Custard Filled Cornbread
Serving Size : 8
3 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk -- or buttermilk
1 1/2 Tablespoons vinegar
1 cup flour, all-purpose
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup heavy cream -- very cold
1/2 teaspoon vanilla -- or other flavoring
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Butter or spray with non-stick spray, an 8 inch square or 9: round baking dish. This must be at least 2 inches deep. Put the dish in the oven while you prepare the other ingredients. This is important for success.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the eggs and butter. Add the sugar and salt and whisk until well blended. Pour in the milk and vinegar and beat well.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and soda with a fork. Add the dry ingredients to the liquid in two batches, and whisk until the batter is smooth.
5. Quickly combine the cold whipping cream with the flavoring, (if desired).
6. Remove the dish from the oven and quickly pour the batter into it, listening for the sizzle as it hits the pan. This seals the edges for the desired crispy texture. Using a steady hand, pour the cream into the center of the batter and do not stir or jostle. Bake for 55 minutes until the top is golden brown. Serve warm with maple syrup.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving : 321 Calories; 19g Fat (53.1% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 114mg Cholesterol; 376mg Sodium.