This salad's dressing can be made in advance, and keeps for over a week. Add thinly sliced chicken or beef and call it dinner!
Umbrella-worthy Papaya Salad
Serving Size : 6
12 ounces papaya -- thinly sliced
12 ounces mango -- thinly sliced
2 Tablespoons brown sugar, packed -- or raw
3 Tablespoons fish sauce
3 Tablespoons lime juice
1/4 cup basil -- chiffonade
2 cloves garlic -- chopped
2 Thai Chiles -- diced
2 Tablespoons dried shrimp
15 green beans -- blanched, cut in 3/4" pieces
1 cup cherry tomatoes -- cut in half
1 cup cucumber slices -- cut in half
1 green onion -- sliced thin
1/2 cup unsalted peanuts -- rough chopped
1. Arrange papaya and mango in alternate slices as a fan around a plate. Chill.
2. In a small bowl, add sugar, fish sauce and lime juice. Stir to dissolve sugar completely. Add basil and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, place the garlic and chilies. Pound the with a strong spoon, or a wood pestle. Add the dried shrimp and pound again. Stir in the green beans with the tomatoes and pound just enough to bruise them.
4. Stir in the cucumbers, green onion and peanuts. Add the lime dressing and toss to coat.
5. Using a slotted spoon, place vegetables in the center of the fruit fan, and serve.
Optional to add 1/2 cup bean sprouts in place of the cucumbers.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving : 171 Calories; 7g Fat (35.7% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 1mg Cholesterol; 10mg Sodium.