The neighbors just called! They are grilling out and invited you, AND asked you to bring a little something.
Don't panic. These really fast dishes put together in minutes, and you will be the party hero!
#1 You can use hot corn off the grill as well, but this method strips the silks TOO easy!
Fast Mexican Corn
Serving Size : 4
4 ears of corn -- (see instructions)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon sour cream -- or nonfat plain yogurt
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika -- smoked
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 cup Cotija -- finely shredded
1/2 lime -- cut in 4 pieces
1. In a sink, or a dish, soak corn in husks for at least 2 minutes. Cut just the tip of the silks away. Place in microwave for 3 minutes, increasing the time 2 minutes for each additional ear of corn. (4 ears = 8-9 minutes)
2. While the corn is cooking, put the mayonnaise and sour cream in a small dish and stir. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, blend the chili powder, paprika, seasoned salt, and cinnamon.
4. On a flat plate, spread the shredded Cojita cheese.
5. When the corn is hot from the microwave, cut the stem end of the corn using a hot pad. Hold the tail/bloom end of the corn and twist the corn up and out of the husk. It should emerge silk free.
.6. Transfer the hot corn to a platter. Stick with a skewer or corn holder. Spread the mayonnaise/sour cream mixture on the corn.
7. Roll the ears of corn over the plate of grated cheese and dust with the chili powder mixture. Squeeze lime juice over the hot corn and enjoy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving : 139 Calories; 8g Fat (44.6% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4mg Cholesterol; 143mg
#2 Dessert? Pfffft! In a snap!
1 Frozen pound cake
1 cup of confectioner's sugar (not all will be used)
1 1/2 cups fresh fruit, cut into bite size pieces
Thaw cake for about ten minutes, then slice into servings.
Lay slices on a baking sheet and slide them into a 350F oven for about 6 minutes. Then turn on the broiler for ONE minute to toast the top.
As soon as they come out of the oven, shake on some confectioner's sugar, and watch it glisten into the warm cake.
Take a container of fresh fruit cut up to the party, and spoon over the cake just before serving. Just enough sweet, and a classically elegant finale.