Serving Size : 6
1 Tablespoon butter
1 cup oats -- steel-cut
1 cup pumpkin puree -- (or canned)
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves -- (optional)
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 cups milk, skim -- or 2%
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup hot water
1. Heat oven to 375F.
2. Using an oven safe 3 quart saucepan or Pyrex, heat the butter to melting. Add the oats and constantly stir until they give a 'toasty' aroma.
3. Add the pumpkin puree, stirring into the oats. After another minute, add the sugar and spices. Stir well for about 3 minutes to completely blend and sugar starts to melt..
4. Whisk in the milk and add the vanilla to combine all ingredients. Stir in the hot water. Cover with a lid and place in the oven. Bake for 35 minutes.
5. Remove the dish from the oven. Using caution removing the lid, stir the oatmeal. While it appears loose, it thickens rapidly. Scoop oatmeal into portions and cover for later, or consume when thickened after 2-3 minutes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving : 190 Calories; 4g Fat (18.7% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 32g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 6mg Cholesterol; 58mg Sodium.