So you are totally focused on everyone arriving for that big holiday meal! With December 25th being on a weekend, I am sure that everyone is arriving early.This series "What am I going to Feed These People?" is designed to help you.The recipes are make ahead, or prepare much of it ahead and at the last minute, combine together for a delicious meal.
Relax, we've got this!!
Andouille, Shrimp and Polenta Cakes
Chef Karel Anne Tieszen
Serving Size : 8
1 Tablespoon butter
3 cups milk -- (or 1 cup cream, 2 cups milk)
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 cup corn meal
1 pint cherry tomatoes
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 pound Andouille sausage -- sliced into bite-size pieces
[if using raw sausage, remove from casings]
1 cup red onion -- sliced into petals
2 cups white wine
4 cups spinach -- baby
1 pound shrimp -- peeled and de-veined
2 Tablespoons butter -- cut in small cubes
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Melt butter in a 2 qt saucepan. Add milk and heat until it begins to bubble. Whisk in the cornmeal, and cook until the polenta leaves a large empty line when the whisk moves across the pan. Pour into a muffin tin, or shaped cookie molds. (Day ahead OK & refrigerate)
3. Toss tomatoes in 2 Tablespoons of the olive oil and roast for 20-30 minutes until tomatoes collapse and begin to caramelize. (Day ahead OK & refrigerate)
3. Brown the meat and drain most of the fat if using raw sausage. If using pre-cooked smoked sausage, add with the onions and sauté until tender. Add wine and fresh ground black pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer until liquid is reduced by half. (Day ahead OK & refrigerate)
4. Stir raw shrimp into the hot liquid for one minute. Add raw spinach, and stir to incorporate. After spinach is melting, add tomatoes and warm through, about 3-5 minutes. Stir mixture together, and throw in small chunks of butter to create a glossy finish. Add salt to taste.
5. Spoon the mixture over the (room temperature to warm) polenta cakes, and serve immediately.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving : 548 Calories; 28g Fat (49.9% calories from fat); 26g Protein; 38g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 145mg Cholesterol; 1044mg Sodium.