Family loses everything after home catches fire

By  | 

PICKETT, Okla. (KXII) - "It is the worst emotional roller coaster I've ever ridden," Jimmy Gould said.

Jimmy Gould tells us he rushed home Thursday evening after finding out his house had caught fire.

His son Colton, 19, tried to stop the flames.

"I almost had it, and I had down to about the size of a softball, and I had an asthma attack and I had to get out," Colton said.

But the fire quickly spread, when firefighters showed up the home was already fully engulfed.

Firefighters worked for hours to put it out, but it rekindled early Friday morning.

Jimmy says, his son Jamie, 9, started the fire accidentally while playing with a lighter.

"He stayed in the fire, almost too long, he tried to put out what he started," Jimmy said.

"I knew all the kids were out so I knew everything was safe, when I came up the hill I realized our little dog wasn't coming,"Heather Gould said.

Heather says losing their dog as well several sentimental items from her mother and aunt hurts the most.

"I keep saying they're just stupid little things, it's all stupid little things--my family made it out--but those stupid little things were pretty important," Heather said.

Now the Gould's will share Colton's mobile home until they're able to rebuild.

Jimmy says finding his class ring gave him a reason to smile.

"I just literally just sat down and prayed, and said Lord I just need some hope,"Jimmy said.

The Gould's say they're grateful for the community who donated clothes, a washer a dryer, bedding and a refrigerator.

"It's been amazing, all the help, we instantly had been getting us gift cards, sending us 20 dollars.

An account has been set up for the Gould family at Vision Bank.

You can also help by donating to their GoFundMe account at the link listed below:

https://www.gofundme.com/gould-family-home-fire