Family safe after house fire in Tishomingo

TISHOMINGO, Okla. (KXII) -- A family of three was able to escape their burning home in Tishomingo early Sunday morning.

Firefighters were called to the 700 block of Neshoba Street around 2 a.m.

Crews say the family was asleep when the fire started.

"They were awaken by a popping noise from the windows busting," Fire Chief Gary Deaton said. "The fire was coming into the kitchen area."

Investigators say the fire started from a charcoal grill that was left burning in the back yard.

Police say the family kept running into the burning home to try and save their belongings.

"It doesn't take but one breath of smoke the right way to pass out," Deaton said. "Belongings can be replaced, lives can't."

Firefighters say the home isn't a total loss and most of the damage is in the back of the house.

No one was hurt.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus