ADA, Okla. (KXII) -- It's been nearly a year since a 16-day-old baby girl was burned when her babysitter mistakenly turned off the cold water during a bath, causing 2nd degree burns.
Police say the water hit 145 degrees.
What happened next put the parents behind bars.
"The baby sitter's mother stated that she told the mother, hey you need to take this baby to the emergency room," Detective Brian Engel said.
Engel sid the baby's mother, Candace Matthews, told the sitter she was, "too messed up on meth" to take the child to the hospital, and would take her the next day.
The child's father, Patrick Eddy was also there, also high, and did nothing.
Engel says the sitter's mother later went back to the home and took the baby to the hospital.
"The baby's diaper was full of feces and urine and when she looked at the burn on the baby, the skin was starting to peel," Engel said.
Engel says the baby also suffered dehydration and respiratory problems.
Matthews and Eddy were scheduled for trial this week, but both took a plea deal and got 10 years in prison.
"There's no defense for it,"Engel said,"I think if they would have went before a jury the jury would have saw the pictures of the baby and the injuries, there's no doubt in my mind that there would have been a guilty verdict."
The baby survived and is in state custody.
"This child can't defend itself, so it motivates you even that much more to find out the truth and seek justice," Engel said.