Sherman family loses home to fire

By  | 

SHERMAN, Tex. (KXII) -- A Sherman family is without a place to live Tuesday after a kitchen fire spread and destroyed their home, forcing them out into the cold.

"It's so devastating for anybody to lose their home, but to lose everything," neighbor Shannon Cervantes said.

Shannon Cervantes comforted her neighbors of 14 years as they watched their home, and everything inside, go up in flames.

"I can't even imagine what they're going through right now and how they feel, they've lost some animals, their pets," Cervantes said.

The fire broke out at the home off of Highland Avenue and Taylor Street just after 5 p.m.

"It appears to be a kitchen fire, possibly a grease fire in the kitchen is what started it," Sherman Fire Division Chief Chris Olson said.

That accidental fire spread throughout the entire home as firefighters battled the blaze for over an hour. On top of the cold weather, firefighters faced another problem.

"We do have power lines down in the front yard that are still live and that has hampered our fight some," Olson said.

A grandmother, her son and her 19-year-old granddaughter lived in the home.

"They are awesome, anytime I need Mike, I call him, he's there to fix anything I need," Cervantes said.

Cervantes said now it's the community's turn to come together and help them. She's opened her home to the family and the Red Cross is lending a hand as well.

"If there's anything anybody can do to help donate things, even if it's just prayers, it would be greatly appreciated," Cervantes said.

Neighbors are collecting donations for the family of three. Email shanncer@yahoo.com to help.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus