TISHOMINGO, Okla. (KXII) - A fire destroyed a three-story mansion on Webb Road in Tishomingo Saturday night.
Fire chief Gary Deaton said he got a call just before 7 p.m. that the fire was blazing just a few blocks from where he lives.
"So I went ahead and came on scene before my trucks came," Deaton said. "I advised them, did an assessment, and when I arrived on scene we had heavy fire."
He said the mansion was built in the 1960's.
"The fire spread to the second story above ground pretty quickly," he said. "We were able to keep fire out of the basement side of it, and one side of the garage had water damage, but rest is a total loss."
He said two people were inside the home when it burst into flames and began popping with explosions. They got out unharmed, but Deaton had to be taken to the hospital for heat exhaustion.
"They treated several on scene, mine was just serious enough. I needed to get checked out further," he said.
He said a lack of an onsite water source made fighting the flames that much harder. Eleven hours later, seven fire departments were able to get it under control.
"It was a pretty long, drawn out operation," Deaton said.
He said it started from faulty electrical wiring in the kitchen. A relative said the homeowner is staying with family members.
"All of our Johnston county residents really help us out," Deaton said. "I had seven total on scene, and everybody did what they could."