Byng woman shot to death, husband accused

BYNG, OK - A Pontotoc County woman found shot to death this weekend, the suspect -- her own husband. He went before a Pontotoc County judge today and our Cameras were there.

Police arrested 39-year-old Johnny Quinn Campbell Sunday night, in connection with the death of his wife 33-year-old Jennifer Louise Campbell.

Residents in the quiet town of Byng, Oklahoma, just few miles north of Ada, said they were shocked late Sunday night when they realized authorities were searching for a suspected killer.

"I was out in my garage and I kept hearing airplanes and helicopters going real low, you know, and I wondered then what was going on," Byng resident Eddie Tabor said.

What neighbors heard was a manhunt for Johnny Quinn Campbell who police said had just shot his wife Jennifer, then took off.

Pontotoc County Sheriff John Christian said, "The daughter was asleep in her bedroom at the time this occurred. The son was in a bathroom, heard the argument going on, heard the gunshots, came out, saw his father with the gun, told him to put the gun down and the father complied. He put the gun down then instructed him to go get his sister and leave now."

Police said Campbell's son called 911 around 11:25 p.m. that night and reported what he saw.

"We entered the residence, there was no one else located, we did find the victim was deceased," Christian said. "It appeared to have been from a gun shot wound, found two cartridges laying on the floor."

Christian said it was obvious the subject had left on foot and was armed, because the gun was missing and all the family's vehicles were at the residence.

"We were searching the area to see if he was going to come back or anything and we spotted a heat signature about 300 yards west of the residence in a wooded area and at that point located the suspect," Christian said.

Christian said they recovered the murder weapon and took Campbell into custody an hour after the shooting and today, he was formally charged.

Christian said he believes an argument led to the shooting, Campbell is currently being held without bond in the Pontotoc County Justice Center.

He is expected back in court Monday.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 136627943 -
Gray Television, Inc.