The Chickasaw Nation Lighthorse Police Department is collecting unwanted prescription and over-the-counter medications at 22 locations throughout the Chickasaw Nation.
The Prescription Take Back Program is part of a three-year "Indian Alcohol and Substance Abuse Grant" that seeks to educate people about the dangers of alcohol and substance abuse.
Under the program, individuals are encouraged to dispose their unwanted prescription medication pills at a prescription take back drop off box. No syringes, inhalers or liquid medications are accepted.
These boxes will be monitored by Lighthorse Police. The disposed medications will be documented and taken to a proper disposal location to prevent misuse.
The non-medical use and abuse of the prescription drugs is a serious public health problem. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, 20 percent of Americans ages 12 and older, have used prescription drugs for nonmedical reasons at least once in their lifetime.
In addition to preventing abuse, the Prescription Take Back Program will also prevent pollution to streams and rivers from medications being poured down the drain or flushed down the toilet.
The prescription drop off locations are:
· Chickasaw Nation Achille Senior Center at 104 W Main, Achille, Okla.
· Bryan County Clinic Pharmacy at 1524 W. Chuckwa, Durant, Okla.
· Chickasaw Nation Ardmore Senior Center at 949 Locust NW, Ardmore, Okla.
· Chickasaw Nation Ardmore Health Clinic at 2510 Chickasaw Blvd., Ardmore.
· Chickasaw Nation Pauls Valley Senior Center at 109 N. Indian Meridian Road, Pauls Valley, Okla.
· Pauls Valley Police Department at 215 North Walnut Street, Pauls Valley.
· Garvin County Court House at 201 West Grant, Pauls Valley.
· Chickasaw Nation Connerville Senior Center at 6700 N. Hwy. 377, Connerville, Okla.
· Chickasaw Nation Tishomingo Health Clinic Pharmacy at 815 E. 6th Street, Tishomingo, Okla.
· Chickasaw Nation Tishomingo Senior Center at 1199 W. Ray Branum Road, Tishomingo.
· Chickasaw Nation Madill Senior Center at Corner of Hwy 70 and 5th Street, Oakland, Okla.
· Madill Police Department at 201 East Overton Street, Madill, Okla.
· Chickasaw Nation Lighthorse Police Department North Office at US highway 62 and SE 32nd St., Newcastle, Okla.
· Chickasaw Nation Purcell Health Clinic at 1438 Hardcastle Blvd., Purcell, Okla.
· Chickasaw Nation Purcell Senior Center at 703 Sherri Classic Blvd., Purcell.
· Chickasaw Nation Sulphur Senior Center at 401 E. Oklahoma, Sulphur, Okla.
· Chickasaw Nation Lighthorse Police Department Headquarters at 1130 W. Main, Ada, Okla.
· Chickasaw Nation Ada Senior Center at 1005 Chamber Loop, Ada
· Chickasaw Nation Medical Center Pharmacy at 1921 Stonecipher Blvd., Ada.
· Chickasaw Nation ReUse center at 2205 North Broadway, Ada
· Allen Police Department at 109 N Memphis St., Allen, Okla.
· Chickasaw Nation Kullihoma Senior Center (12 miles east of Ada on Hwy. 1, then 5 miles south on Kullihoma Road)
Prescription drop offs are accepted during the sites' business hours.
-The Chickasaw Nation of Oklahoma