Young couple dies in Durant fire

By: Steven Powell Email
By: Steven Powell Email

DURANT, OK -- Two people died early Wednesday morning when their home on Tennessee Street caught fire.

Troy Coburn, 18, and Kathleen Jolly, 23, were trapped in a back bedroom by the blaze, according to Durant Police.

Wade Boyd, Durant fire marshal, said two other people were home during the fire. He said they managed to get out with only minor burns.

A space heater in one of the bedrooms started the fire, Boyd said. He ruled the fire accidental.

Officials are waiting on an autopsy to determine the exact causes of death for Coburn and Jolly.

"The two people that made it out, they had some minor burns, but they refused treatment, so they were released," Boyd said.

Randall McDonald said he's known the family since he was a kid, and was good friends with Jolly.

"Their family helped my family out with things, and our family helped them out with things. And we just grew up together," he said. "We all became like brothers and sisters."

Ed Waller lives across the street, and grabbed his garden hose when he saw the flames

"It was engulfed. It was bad enough," he said.

Boyd said the house is a total loss.

"It was an old house, and it was fully involved, so we just had to do an outside attack," he said. "So it took about an hour and a half."

Neighbors are trying to collect what they can to help out the family out.

"You know, they do need all the donations they can get for the funeral. I know I'm gonna be trying my best to come up with some money to help them out," said Belinda Wright, a family friend.

Anyone interested in helping the family out can drop off donations at 801 S. Third St.


Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 193705091 - kxii.com/a?a=193705091