DENISON, TX - A house fire in Denison early this morning killed the man who lived in the home. Assistant Fire Chief Bill Ray says they got the call around 5 o'clock this morning.Once firefighters got inside the house on Hanna Street, they found a man lying on the ground, just a few feet from the front door.
Investigators believe 52 year old Donald Eugene Adams may have died from smoke inhalation, when his house in the 700 block of Hanna Street caught fire. His family is still trying to come to grips with what's happened.
"I don't even have words for what I feel right now, I'm just in shock, and I'm just wishing today wasn't true." said sister, Cathy Sample.
"He had a good heart, all the elderly people around, he mowed their yards and did things for them." brother, Charles Adams said.
Assistant Chief Bill Ray says because the house was closed off, an extensive amount of smoke built up inside. He says heavy smoke can allow the heat to rise to at least 2000 degrees which can sear a person's lungs.
"Fire Marshal is still investigating, he's looking closely at the wall furnace, but he's not made conclusions yet about exactly what caused it." said Chief Ray.
Charles Adams says by the time he got to Donald's house, the fire was out, but he knew his brother was gone.
"Well he just came out his door, and the wall furnace was right there and he just walked into it, and with everything that was burning, they said it would take 2 breaths and you'd be gone, and they found him five foot from the door." Adams said.
Cathy Sample says she had a special relationship with her brother, and everyone who knew him, loved him.
"He was my hero, because he took good care of me, our mother passed away when I was 9 and he was always there to do everything, he made sure that I stayed straight, got to school, took care of, he didn't care about himself as much as he did me." said Sample.
Fire officials say Adams did not have a smoke detector.