KXII - Fox - Home - Headlines

Garvin County residents escape house fire

By: Alex Belser Email
By: Alex Belser Email

GARVIN COUNTY, OK - A woman woke up to find her house on fire, but she and her daughter were able to get out in time.

Fire victim Sherry Randell said she woke up to a dark house and thought the breaker switches had flipped off. She went to get her flashlight and saw something very bright.

"It was a big old light in the kitchen," Randell said. " I went in there and realized it was on fire."

Randell ran to wake up her daughter and leave the house.

"I was sleeping and my mom hollered at me and we woke up and ran outside," Sabrina Randell said.

Suddenly, the two were standing outside their house, watching and hearing their belongings burn.

"It was popping and breaking glass and flames shooting way up there in the air," Sherry Randell said.

Randell said Pernell firefighters arrived after nearly half an hour. Pernell fire chief Brent Balentine said they managed to save a few items, but the home was a total loss.

Randell said she visited her mentally challenged 26-year-old son in Pauls Valley on Thursday to tell him abuot the fire, but that he did not seem to grasp what had happened.

The Red Cross placed the family at a Pauls Valley motel until Saturday, and then they plan to move back to a motor home on the property a few miles west of Pernel, while looking for a new mobile home.

Balentine said the fire started in the kitchen and may have been electrical.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 140255723