No action taken on UIL ruling against Sherman football coach

By: Victoria Maranan Email
By: Victoria Maranan Email

SHERMAN, TX-After spending two hours in a closed session Monday night, Sherman school officials have reached a decision on how to address the UIL's ruling against head football coach, Gary Kinne, who was suspended from last week's Battle of the Axe.

The Sherman school board voted not to take action on the UIL ruling against coach Kinne and treat it like a personnel matter by leaving it up to the Superintendent to decide what's next for their coach.

"This is certainly an unfortunate situation for our students and our athletic program and for our district as a whole. And my apologies to the community, our players, to the parents and everyone who watches the Bearcats."

It's now up to Superintendent, Dr. Al Hambrick, to decide how to address the UIL's ruling against the football head coach, Gary Kinne.

Last Thursday, the UIL issued a one-game suspension to Kinne--along with a two year probation and a public reprimand. They said he broke several rules by taking part in a 7-on-7 game in Arkansas this summer.

"Instructing students in a 7-on -7 contest during the off-season being on the sidelines that's clearly a violation in regards to UIL rules," said Hambrick.

The rules state coaches are not allowed to instruct 7-12 graders from their attendance zone, unless the student is their own child.

UIL Spokeswoman Kate Hector said Kinne was present during the UIL's state executive committee meeting Thursday and identified himself in this video at the 7-on-7 game.

"Coach Kinne violated the rules. All rules are made to be followed and that's what we expect. That's what I expected before this happened and I still expect that from all of our folks," Hambrick said.

Athletes also appear to be wearing the same gear they wear on Friday nights, what Hector calls a clear violation of the UIL's non-school participation rules.

Hambrick said the district respects the UIL's decision.

"We will move forward and take the necessary steps to make sure it won't happen again," he said.

We called coach Kinne Monday and left a voicemail. Hambrick said he will meet with coach Kinney as soon as possible to talk about what happened at Monday's meeting.

We'll continue to follow this story.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 226846851 -
Gray Television, Inc.