KXII - Fox - Home - Headlines

Firefighters investigate rash of fires in Sherman/Denison

By: Jennifer Sanders Email
By: Jennifer Sanders Email

SHERMAN, TX - A rash of fires around Sherman and Denison have left several families homeless.

"I heard sirens and I came out of my house and saw that it was over here and immediately ran out the house and saw it was pretty much in flames," said Shannon Brewer.

Just before 7:00 Thursday night, Brewer saw flames shooting from a home on Martin Lane. It's a sight that was all too familiar to him and his family.

"My mother in-law lost her house Tuesday night," said Brewer.

Authorities say the people in this home were drying clothes when they went back to the laundry room and saw that part of it was on fire. That's when they called 911.

"Fire units arrived and found fire coming out the front of the house and the fire was pretty involved," said Chief Jeff Jones of Sherman Fire Department.

Firefighters made sure everyone was out of the house. They rescued a dog, but the family is still searching for their small kitten. At the same time, there was a fire in Denison that destroyed a home, but fortunately everyone made it out okay.

Just hours earlier, a fire at a Sherman apartment complex caused thousands of dollars in damage, after a resident walked away from the stove, while cooking.

"Both these fires have one thing in common - no working smoke detectors in the home," said Jones.

And that's why he urges everyone to check their detectors because it could save their lives.

"Had this fire started at one in the morning rather than 6 in the evening, it would have been an entirely different outcome," said Jones.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 136788708