Being prepared for an emergency is essential...
and being ready for an ice storm is no different.
In todays safe family report we'll talk about some tips to help you get ready for the cold weather that could bring ice to our area.
If you have any special needs... including an oxygen tank or any other medical supply that requires electricity...
Be sure you have a plan in place in case the electricity goes out.
Also have a neighbor that can check in on you to make sure you are doing all right.
Be sure to winterize your vehicle before the storm hits.
Here is a check list that will serve you well in emergencies:
• One-week supply of non-perishable food, one gallon of bottled water per person, per day, coolers for food and ice storage
• Credit cards and cash (banks and ATMs may not have power)
• Battery-operated radio, NOAA Weather Radio and extra batteries or hand crank radio, cell phones and chargers
• First-aid kit, seven-day supply of prescription medications, copies of prescriptions, special medical items, hearing aids and batteries, eye glasses
• Supplies for a service animal including food, identification tags, proof of up-to-date vaccinations and veterinarian contact
• Manual can opener, knife, tools, booster cables, fire extinguisher, duct tape, tarp, rope, flashlight with extra batteries
• Supplies for babies, the elderly, family members with special health care needs, and food and supplies for pets
• Medical equipment and assistive devices (catheters, augmentative communication devices, cane, wheelchair, scooter, walker, dressing aids, oxygen, tubing, feeding supplies, drinking straws),extra batteries and chargers, hygiene supplies
• List of model numbers or serial numbers of medical devices and equipment
• Medical alert tags or bracelets and written description of your disability-related or health care conditions
• Medications and copies of all prescriptions, including a list of the prescription name, dosage, frequency, doctor and pharmacist
• Phone numbers and names of physicians and health care providers, health insurance information, emergency contact information including your support network