Parents have a lot to worry about when it comes to the safety of their kids. Now one more thing to add to the list: Batteries. There's growing concern over these very popular little batteries known as button batteries, and experts say they're injuring children at an alarming rate.
Unless you see a child swallow the battery -- it can be difficult to diagnose. Symptoms mimic the flu. Vomiting, fever, cough and lack of appetite. This is something that needs to be treated quickly. Doctors say you only have about 2 hours to get that battery out before it starts to burn.
Some products actually requite that you use a screwdriver to get into where the batteries sit. The battery industry would like to see battery compartments made in such a way that you need a tool to get inside. It's calling on manufacturers of products to do so. the makers of childrens products do a good job of that. In the meantime, parents need to keep products with batteries out of the reach of children.