Video will be available shortly
10-12-04 - Concerns over a bacterial meningitis outbreak may be unfounded after a Fairview Elementary student was diagnosed with the disease at a Dallas hospital last week.
The boy complained of fever, headache and a stiff neck. Bacterial meningitis is a serious infection of the fluid in the spinal cord. The disease can only be spread through close contact or body fluids and is most common in infants and young children.
The student, diagnosed with the illness, and a sibling were removed from classes. His classroom was professionally cleaned and all precautions at the school were taken to prevent any chances of spreading the disease.
The student has been released from the hospital and is expected to make a good recovery.
Bacterial meningitis is rare in the US and usually occurs in isolated cases.