11-30-04 - A build-up of natural gas inside a Gainesville home caused it to explode on Sunday night. An open gas valve is to blame inside the home in the 500 block of Carnes Street.
A woman inside had been using a portable heater, which had then been disconnected. But the valve to the gas line had been left open, allowing natural gas to fill the small, 3-bedroom home. The woman was taking a bath at the time. When she lit a cigarette, the gas ignited, blowing out the windows and doors of the house.
She escaped through a bathroom window with only minor burns on her face and arms.