Static Electricity - Danger at the Pump

3-10-05 - Static electricity sparked a gas fire on Tuesday that burned the arms and hands of an Ardmore man. It happened at a gas station while Dearl Cathey was filling up his truck. As he went to remove the pump from the truck, the fumes flamed up on his hands and arms. Cathey was about to put out the fire quickly, and because he was wearing a hat and glasses, the damage wasn't too bad.

But firefighters say this type of event isn't as rare as you might think. On days when conditions are right, like low humidity and high winds, static electricity is a danger at the pump. Just the friction of your clothes rubbing together or getting in and out of a car is enough to cause it. Experts say to always touch something metal before going near the pump.


Sherman 4201 Texoma Pkwy (903) 892 -8123 Ardmore 2624 S. Commerce (580) 223-0946
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 1351747 - http://kxii.com/a?a=1351747