Video will be available shortly
7-27-05 – The Super 8 Motel and two nearby gas stations were evacuated Wednesday evening after a natural gas leak off highway 75 and FM 1417 in Sherman. A landscaping crew hit the line while burrowing underneath the ground.
The crew was not authorized to be there by motel management and when asked to leave, accidentally ruptured the four-inch line when trying to remove their equipment.
49 people total were asked to evacuate around six o’clock. Sherman Fire secured the area while Atmos energy arrived to stop the leak.
The line was turned off and people were cleared to return to the buildings around 8pm, but around 50 nearby homes were left without gas service.
Atmos repaired the line late Wednesday night. Representatives will go door-to-door Thursday morning to start pilot lights for residents.