Teenagers Overdose on Freon


11-17-05 - A chemical used to cool air conditioners is being used by local teenagers to get high. Three Ravia teens overdosed on freon this weekend, part of a cocktail of drugs they were taking.

Southern Oklahoma doctors say it's starting to pop up more and more in their emergency rooms. People are huffing freon instead of paint and gasoline to get high. And the affects almost killed three Ravia teens and have two more facing felony charges.

It all happened Friday night near Ravia's public school. The sheriff's department says seven kids ranging from 13 to 14 years old were sniffing freon out of air conditioners and taking Loratab and Oxycontin tablets. Later on, three were rushed to Johnston Memorial Hospital where they had their stomachs pumped. All three have since been released.

But sniffing the freon could have frozen their lungs and heart and suffocated them. Doctors say anyone using freon to get high is lucky to still be alive.

Two 13-year-olds have been charged with distributing drugs and possession of prescription drugs. One them was arrested but has since bonded out of a Lawton detention center.

Pure freon is can only be bought with a heating, ventilation, and air conditioning license. As for how the teens got it, that's still under investigation.


Sherman 4201 Texoma Pkwy (903) 892 -8123 Ardmore 2624 S. Commerce (580) 223-0946
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 1979602