Church Fire Ruled Accidental


12-13-05 - A Bryan County church that was destroyed by fire last Tuesday night is now being called accidental. The fire marshall says an electrical malfunction at the Central Union Baptist Church likely caused the fire.

The church was one of the oldest if not the oldest church in Colbert, but there isn't much left of it now.

Firefighters got the call around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday morning, and Colbert, Achille and Calera Fire Departments fought the fire for almost two hours. They then spent many more hours putting out hot spots.

KXII was told that it started in the back where a small kitchen was located.

The church as 15-20 members, and there is no word yet on final plans. One member said he hopes the church decides to rebuild.

The Central Union Baptist Church is primarily an African-American church. Its roots go back to the days of segregation.


Sherman 4201 Texoma Pkwy (903) 892 -8123 Ardmore 2624 S. Commerce (580) 223-0946
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 2071102 - http://kxii.com/a?a=2071102