No smoke detectors in burned Paris shelter

By: KXII Staff Email
By: KXII Staff Email

PARIS, TX --Investigators say the Paris shelter that burned Monday, killing five men, had no sprinkler system, fire alarms, or smoke detectors.

The cause of the fire hasn't been determined but Paris Fire Chief Ronnie Grooms says records show the building was last inspected in 2004.

Homeless shelters in Texas are not licensed by the state, so regular fire inspections are not required. Grooms says his department has only two inspectors who focus mostly on state-licensed facilities where inspections are mandated.

The shelter is owned and operated by Christians in Action. The owner declined comment on building codes or inspections.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
Sherman 4201 Texoma Pkwy (903) 892 -8123 Ardmore 2624 S. Commerce (580) 223-0946
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 37373474 - http://kxii.com/a?a=37373474