Deputies Use Bean-Bag Gun to End Standoff

08-31-06 - Authorities had to fire bean bag rounds at a suspect, after he held them at bay during a nearly 12 hour long standoff Thursday morning.

The following is a news release from the Grayson County Sheriff:

August 31, 2006
Incident # 276877
4418 Dugan Chapel Road
Bells, Tx

On August 30, 2006, at 7:04 P.M. the Grayson County Sheriff’s Office responded to a 911 call from a female complainant. The complainant stated that her estranged husband had threatened her and pointed an assault rifle at her. Their 16 year old son stepped in between the two. When complainant and her son turned to leave the premises, her estranged husband shot numerous rounds with the assault rifle into her vehicle. The woman and her son fled on foot from the property.

The complainant was at a neighbor’s house, talking on the phone to her husband, when the Sheriff’s Office arrived. While speaking to the complainant, it was determined that her husband was heavily armed with a number of weapons. The Sheriff’s Office Special Response Team was called due to the obvious danger involved. When the deputies made contact with the man by cell phone, he refused to drop his weapons and surrender. Sheriff’s Office negotiators talked to the man by telephone throughout the night, attempting to have him give up.

Deputies could see the man wondering about his property during the night. He was carrying a spotlight, some type of rifle and a handgun. Communications broke off around 2:00 a.m. when it appeared the man had gone to sleep in a tree house next to his home. The Sheriff’s Office was not able to regain communications with him until approximately 7:30 A.M. The man then agreed to meet two members of the Special Response Team in his driveway. As the two deputies spoke with the man, they noticed that he had placed a pistol on top of a fence post, approximately 40 feet away. When the man became distracted for just a moment, the two deputies ran toward him. The man ran toward his pistol. One of the deputies fired bean bag rounds in an attempt to stop him. As the man stumbled, he was tackled by deputies, and handcuffed.

He was stopped just 12 feet before reaching his weapon, a fully loaded .45 caliber handgun. The suspect received minor injuries to his face when tackled. One of the deputies was injured during the arrest.

The suspect was transported to the Grayson County Jail on the following charges:

1) Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon, and
2) Criminal Mischief.

The Grayson County Sheriff’s Office was assisted in this incident by The Texas Department of Public Safety and a Texas Ranger.