AUSTIN (AP) - Previously secret parts of a contract to develop the Trans-Texas Corridor that have been a contentious issue in the governor's race are going to be made public. That's what state officials said on Thursday.
The decision was announced at a Texas Transportation Commission meeting where a plan for the first phase of the proposed corridor was revealed. Because that plan is an update of an earlier proposal by the consortium Cintra-Zachry, all parts of that earlier document -- including those that were kept secret for proprietary reasons -- will be released.
That's what Amadeo Saenz, assistant executive director for engineering operations at the state transportation department, says.
He says that consequently, a transportation department lawsuit attempting to keep the contract secret will be dropped. Republican Governor Rick Perry, who proposed the Trans-Texas Corridor in 2002, has come under fire from opponents and anti-corridor activists in part because of the secret contract. Some are also mad because the giant toll road will take their land.
You can find out more about it by clicking here.