Fatal house fire in Durant

By: Emi FitzGerald Email
By: Emi FitzGerald Email

An early morning blaze in Durant left an elderly woman dead and her daughter in critical condition.

The Durant Fire Department responded to the call around 6:30 Saturday morning. The fire was contained to the back room of the house on Harmony Street.

Jackie Redmond died of smoke inhalation, and her daughter Lois Wright was eventually taken to Parkland Hospital in Dallas.

Durant Fire Marshall Lisa Jackson says the home was not equipped with smoke detectors and the smoke went unnoticed until it was too late.

Jackson also said the house did not have central heating, so Redmond and Wright were using other heat sources that probably caused the fire.

"The loss of family members and what happened today, we don't want it to keep going and the more we can get that out and emphasize on people how important a five dollar smoke detector in their home can save their life."


Sherman 4201 Texoma Pkwy (903) 892 -8123 Ardmore 2624 S. Commerce (580) 223-0946
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 5188352 - http://kxii.com/a?a=5188352