01-22-04 - A fatal fire near Lone Grove claimed the life of a hitchhiker that had been picked up in Texas. Authorities say the man accidentally caught the couch inside a mobile home on fire.
They say the fire started around 2 a.m. Thursday in a trailer home along Buckskin road near Lone Grove. A couple staying at the home had picked the man up in Beaumont and he had planned to travel with them to Oklahoma City. Thursday night the three were drinking when the hitchhiker dropped his cigarette lighting the couch on fire.
They had thought they put the fire out but it was still smoldering and later in the night it caught fire again. The hitchhiker was asleep on the couch at the time. He was dead when fire fighters arrived.
The couple escaped without injury.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.