Apartment fire in Durant

By: Emi FitzGerald Email
By: Emi FitzGerald Email

DURANT, Okla. -- A Durant family has been left homeless Tuesday night after a morning fire destroyed their apartment. Firefighters say because of a mother's quick instincts, no one was hurt.

Fire chief Stephen Dow says the woman who lived in the apartment was cooking in the kitchen when some grease caught fire.

"Durant firefighters were able to contain the blaze to one unit, keeping the fire from spreading throughout the complex."

It quickly spread throughout the unit in the e building of the crescent creek apartments on Mississippi Street.

The woman's small children were inside but she rushed them outside to safety.

Meanwhile, fire crews managed to keep the fire contained.

They say this case shows just how important it is to have a plan for emergencies.

"Dial 911 as quickly as possible, and get everybody out of the way. That's probably the best help on a fire. Shut the doors when you leave, it keeps the air down so the fire doesn't spread as bad,” said Chief Dow.

Dow also says the apartment is a total loss and they are still investigating.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
Sherman 4201 Texoma Pkwy (903) 892 -8123 Ardmore 2624 S. Commerce (580) 223-0946
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 7734362 - http://kxii.com/a?a=7734362