Fire destroys Pottsboro home

POTTSBORO, TX -- A Pottsboro family's home went up in flames Satruday night sending several fire departments to the rescue.

Flames shot through the roof of a home in the 100th block of Fairway Loop Drive in Tanglewood Resort after 10:30 Saturday night. Preston firefighters were the first on scene.

"Upon arrival they found heavy fire in the attic and started requesting mutual aid from Pottsboro, Locust, and then they requested mutual aid from Gunter, Whitesboro, and the airport," Bates said.

Pottsboro Assistant Fire chief Keith Bates says flames got a hold of ammunition in the attic. You could hear the ammo rupturing as firefighters fought the blaze.

"Ammunition is somewhat dangerous because if it's in the barrel of a weapon it becomes just like coming out of a weapon. If it's lose it makes a lot of noise and doesn't do much damage, but yes there was a lot of popping and ammunition going off," Bates said.

Grayson County Fire Marshall Kevin Walton says the fire started in the home's chimney. He says the residents and their dog made it out safely, but Bates says one firefighter had a close call.

"We did have a near miss. We had a collapse on the A side of the structure that was very close to taking out one of our firefighters," Bates said.

Firefighters stayed on scene until around 2:00 Sunday afternoon. They say the structure is a total loss. The Red Cross also responded to provide relief.

We spoke to the home owners. They did not want to go on camera.
However they did tell us they nearly lost everything inside, but say they're just happy they made it out okay.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
Sherman 4201 Texoma Pkwy (903) 892 -8123 Ardmore 2624 S. Commerce (580) 223-0946
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 199799911 - http://kxii.com/a?a=199799911