Space heater to blame for Durant house fire

By: Morgan Downing Email
By: Morgan Downing Email

DURANT, OK -- Durant firefighters say a space heater is what caused two people to lose their home Wednesday night.

Firefighters say the fire broke out around 9 p.m. at a home in the 400 block of East Jones Street.

When they arrived, they say flames were shooting through the roof. They were able to put the fire out quickly, but authorities say they believe six dogs were unable to escape the blaze.

The home is a total loss.

"It's a common thing to find the heat source of the home to cause fires. It's just an unfortunate thing in the winter time, and you see that," Durant Fire Captain Steve Kelso said.

The Red Cross is assisting the two people who lived in the home.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
Sherman 4201 Texoma Pkwy (903) 892 -8123 Ardmore 2624 S. Commerce (580) 223-0946
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 233712911 -
Gray Television, Inc.