As an alternative to ham, in France we serve lamb on the traditional Easter menu. The young lamb feed on wild sage in the pasture, so the meat needs very little seasoning to be delicious. To re-create the flavor for you, this recipe uses Herbs de Provence, easily found in the grocery spice rack. Yes, the entire POD of garlic is intended in this recipe. It flavors the meat and is easily removed when sliced, or served with the meat to spread on bread.
Roasted Garlic Leg of Lamb
Serving Size : 10
8 pounds leg of lamb
1 pod garlic -- Cut in slivers
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large leeks
1/4 cup herbs de provence
1. Preheat oven to 425F. Using a non-stick spray, prepare a shallow roasting pan.
2. Trim the lamb of excess fat. Using a small sharp knife, make several, evenly distributed cuts in the lamb and slide the garlic slivers completely into the meat. Drizzle the oil over the lamb and rub into the meat with your hands.
3. Take the leeks and cut off the tops, and about 1 inch of the green ends. Slice lengthwise, fan open under running water, and clean of any sandy residue. Cut the leek and lay the green stems flat on the roasting rack and cross diagonally with the white part of the leek. Place lamb on top of the leek bed. Sprinkle herbs de provence over the lamb and press gently to adhere.
4. Place the pan in the center of the oven, and roast for 45 minutes. Reduce the heat to 375F and continue roasting to the following timing guidelines: TOTAL 12 minutes per pound for rare, 15 for medium, or 18 for well-done (not recommended).
5. Remove the lamb from the oven and let rest for 15 minutes before carving. Sliced leeks and roasted garlic can be used for a sauce if desired, or otherwise discarded.
NOTE: If a boneless leg of lamb is used, reduce initial roasting time at 425F to 25 minutes, then continue as directed. Slice into 4 ounce portions for serving.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving: 695 Calories; 52g Fat (68.2% calories from fat); 52g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 198mg Cholesterol; 164mg Sodium.
In Your Own Kitchen: Reality Cooking at Home, by Karel Anne Tieszen, ISBN 9780977253203, is
published by Wimmer Cookbooks and is available for $27.95 at bookstores, Barnes & Noble online, and additionally online at her website, www.kitchen-friends.com.
Designed by Gray Digital Media