Citrus Beet Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
Chef Karel Anne Tieszen
Serving Size : 8
8 beets -- large, red and fresh
8 beets -- large, golden and fresh
1/4 cup olive oil
3 orange -- sectioned
2 ruby red grapefruits -- sectioned
2 heads lettuce leaves -- red tip
1 large avocado -- mashed - about one cup
1/2 cup coconut milk -- (canned, Asian food section)
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup lime juice
1/4 cup orange juice -- fresh (from sectioning)
1 Tablespoon grapefruit juice -- fresh (from sectioning)
2 Tablespoons agave nectar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 425F.
2. Trim both ends of the beets and wash well. Place 3-4 beets in a piece of foil, drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil and wrap tightly. Repeat with other beets for four total packets. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes. Test with a fork to prick easily. If not yet soft, re-wrap and return to oven for another 15 minutes, and recheck. Repeat until soft. (Cooking time is dependent on size of the beets)
3. Remove baking sheet from oven and open packets to allow to cool for 5-10 minutes, or cool enough to handle. Using plastic gloves (for staining) use steady thumb pressure to peel and remove skins. (Much easier than peeling raw!) Slice beets into thin wedges, 6-8 per beet.
4. While the beets are roasting, prepare the sectioned fruits, collecting any stray juices into your mixing bowl. Add the cut up avocado. Mash and mix thoroughly.
5. Add the coconut milk, sour cream, juices, nectar and salt. Mix thoroughly, and chill until serving to thicken. Makes just over 2/3 cup of dressing.
6. To serve, lay one large leaf on the plate. Arrange the beets and citrus in a pattern, and drizzle with the chilled dressing. Serve.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving : 273 Calories; 16g Fat (49.6% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 32g
Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 3mg Cholesterol; 204mg Sodium.