Chef Karel Anne Tieszen
Serving Size : 10
1 pound black beans -- soaked overnight
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup celery -- diced
1 1/2 cups onion -- diced
4 cloves garlic -- cut in half
2 quarts vegetable broth
3 serrano peppers -- halved & seeded
1 Tablespoon dried oregano
10 sprigs cilantro -- reserving 10 pretty leaves
salt and white pepper -- to taste
dash Tabasco sauce -- to taste
1. In a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat until lightly smoking. Add the celery, onions, and garlic. Cook until the onions become translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Add the broth, black beans, serranos, and oregano. Bring the liquid to a boil.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring periodically. When the beans are tender, add the cilantro stems.
4. Transfer to a blender and puree for 3 minutes until smooth. Return to pan, season with salt, pepper, and Tabasco sauce. Bring the soup to a simmer over low heat.
5. Ladle into warm bowls and gently place a cilantro leaf on each.
** Quick Beans preparation: Pick over dried black beans and remove pebbles. Place beans in a large non-metallic bowl. Add dried oregano, cover with boiling water, and seal with plastic wrap. Wait 15 minutes, drain and repeat. Drain and put in large stew pot.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving : 352 Calories; 9g Fat (23.2% calories from fat); 15g Protein; 54g
Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 2mg Cholesterol; 1319mg Sodium.