Serving Size : 20
3/4 cup rye or wheat berries -- whole grain
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup rye flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter -- softened
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 Tablespoon whole black peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1. Preheat oven to 300F.
2. Place whole grain rye and water in a saucepan and cook until the rye is soft and all liquid has been absorbed. Allow to cool while preparing other ingredients.
3. Place black peppercorns in food processor and pulse a few times to break into small pieces. Add to the flours, baking powder and regular salt in a large mixing bowl using a fork to blend.
4. While the mixer is running on low speed, add cooked rye, buttermilk and butter to the flour mixture. Once the dough has formed a soft ball, remove the dough from the mixer.
5. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll to the thickness of the rye kernels and place on a cookie sheet. Score the crackers, and use a fork to aerate the cracker to rise evenly. Sprinkle with Kosher salt.
6. Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes. Check on crackers at 20 minutes. If the cracker bends easily, bake the additional 5 minutes. Remove to a wire rack. Once cooled, break apart into pieces and store in an airtight container.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving : 76 Calories; 3g Fat (30.4% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 6mg Cholesterol; 121mg Sodium.