Chef Karel Anne Tieszen
Touch of Chocolate Maple Pecan Pie
Serving Size : 8
1 pie crust -- frozen
1/2 cup chocolate chips -- dark
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup maple syrup
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups pecans
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Gently prick the pie crust with a fork to avoid air pockets. Sprinkle the chocolate pieces as evenly over the bottom as possible. Bake for 3-5 minutes, until the chocolate begins to melt. Spread evenly over the bottom of the pie. Set aside. Lower oven temperature to 300F.
2. Creating a double boiler with a heatproof dish in a sauté pan of water being held just below a simmer. Melt the butter. Add the sugar and salt and stir to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla and maple. Pour gently into the butter mixture and continue whisking to keep it smooth. Measure using an instant read thermometer, and remove from heat when the mixture is dark, shiny and has reached 130F. Stir in the pecans, and pour gently into the pie crust. Place in the oven for 50-60 minutes, until the top feels spongy and no longer sticks to a spoon.
4. Cool completely on a wire rack. Slice and enjoy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving : 523 Calories; 32g Fat (52.5% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 59g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 95mg Cholesterol; 315mg Sodium.