Serving Size : 8
1 cup buckwheat groats -- (kasha)
1 egg -- slightly beaten
1/4 cup oil
1 medium onion -- chopped
4 ounces mushroom -- sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper -- to taste
2 cups boiling water
2 beef bouillon cubes
8 ounces pasta -- bowties
1. Heat a 2 quart saucepan and add the kasha to it. Toast the kasha until warm to the touch. Pour the beaten egg over all of the kasha and stir constantly until egg evenly coats the grains of kasha and each grain separates from the rest of the kasha. This should be done over a medium heat so that the egg does not cook before it coats the kasha grains.
Put kasha in bowl.
2. Place the oil in the used pan and sauté the onions for 3 minutes and then add the sliced mushrooms. Sauté another 3 to 5 minutes or until the mixture is golden.
3. Return the kasha to the pan with the onions and mushrooms. Add the boiling water,
salt and pepper, and bouillon cubes and stir to dissolve the bouillon. Cover and cook over a low flame for 5 minutes. Remove cover and continue to cook until the kasha is tender.
4. Meanwhile cook the pasta bow ties according to package directions.
5. Combine the kasha and bowties and serve.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving : 254 Calories; 9g Fat (29.5% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 38g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 27mg Cholesterol; 149mg Sodium.
Buckwheat groats kernels; kashi=blend of buckwheat, sesame seeds also called Eastern European pilaf