Serving Size : 8
1 Tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon butter
3 Tablespoons garlic -- minced
3 Tablespoons chili powder
3 teaspoons dry mustard
3 teaspoons cumin powder
1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper see note)
1 1/2 cups carrot -- cut 1/4 inch thick
2 cups celery -- cut in 1/2 inch lengths
30 ounces canned tomatoes -- chopped
2 cups onion -- diced
2 cups bell pepper -- cut 1/4 inch x 1- 1/2 inch
30 ounces canned kidney beans -- save liquid
15 ounces hominy, canned -- drained
6 ounces Spicy V8 (plus one can water)
1/2 cup masa harina
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 Tablespoons unsalted butter -- melted and cooled
1 Tablespoon dry milk
1 egg white
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup Monterey Pepper Jack cheese -- shredded
1/2 cup yogurt
1. In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil and butter. Add garlic and dry spices. Sauté over a low flame for about a minute or two. [Note: Adjust cayenne to your liking]
2. Add the carrots and celery. Combine juice from the canned tomatoes with water to make 3/4 cup liquid. Stir, then cook covered for about 10 minutes.
3. Add onions and peppers. Cook covered for another 10 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes, kidney beans with their juice, and hominy. Stir and cook the chili, uncovered, for 10 minutes longer.
5. Taste and add additional salt, if needed.
6. In a medium bowl, mix together the masa harina, cornmeal, sugar, butter, dry milk, egg white, and water with a fork.
7. About 10 minutes before the chili is ready, add the baking powder and cheese to the dry mixture, and blend with the fork. Make small 1/2 inch diameter tamale puff balls with the dough.
8. Pour the small can of Spicy V8 into a saucepan and add one full can of water. Heat to a gentle bubble, not boil. Float the puffs in the tomato juice mixture for the last 10 minutes of cooking time. Cover. Turn them gently so they can absorb some of the flavors. Place two on each serving of chili. Serve hot with a dollop of fresh yogurt.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving : 236 Calories; 6g Fat (16.3% calories from fat); 14g Protein; 60g Carbohydrate; 19g Dietary Fiber; 4mg Cholesterol; 951mg Sodium.