A chayote squash is fresh from September to May, and is a nice addition to this salad for a meatless meal on Friday. It comes in little bags in the grocery store, and keeps whole for about two weeks in your refrigerator, which makes it an easy one to keep around. Enjoy the tart flavors of this salad, and start thinking sunshine.
Crazy Cut-up Chayote and Corn Salad
Serving Size : 8
4 cobs fresh corn -- roasted
3 limes -- juiced
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin -- ground
salt and pepper
2 chayote squash -- seeded and diced
1 can black beans -- drained and rinsed
1/2 red bell pepper -- diced
1/2 yellow bell pepper -- diced
3 jalapeno pepper -- finely diced
3 green onions -- sliced
1/4 cup cilantro leaves, whole
1. Roast the corn in the oven, or on the grill. Using the oven method, wrap in foil and cook at 400F for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and place under the broiler to caramelize the natural sugars. Set aside to cool.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the juice of 3 limes with the honey and oil. Add in the cumin powder, salt and pepper then stir to combine.
3. Dice the chayote in half-inch pieces and add to the bowl. Combine the black beans, all three peppers and the green onion. Stir to blend.
4. Cut the cooled corn from the cob and add directly to the bowl and stir. Sprinkle the cilantro on top. Directly serve, or chill to serve later.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving : 170 Calories; 3g Fat (15.2% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 32g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 11mg Sodium.