From your Garden
Put the fresh, clean herbs into a clean jar (1 cup of herbs to 1 quart of vinegar) and add the vinegar to the herbs, close with a lid, label the jar, and place in a sunny or warm spot. Turn the jar upside down every 24 hours or so for two week. Open the jar and smell and taste the vinegar. If it is weak close the lid and continue turning the jar for two more weeks. Strain the vinegar through a cheese cloth or coffee filter and pour the vinegar back into the original clean jar. Add a sprig or two of the herbs.
Some recipes of Herb Vinegars
Red Wine Vinegar with:
• Basil, garlic cloves, and savory.
• Rosemary, sage, bay leaves, and garlic cloves.
• Cilantro, rosemary, bay leaves, and chili peppers.
• Thyme, rosemary, oregano, and basil.
White Wine Vinegar with:
• Dill, lemon basil, and lemon balm.
• Orange mint, orange zest, cardamom seeds, and garlic cloves.
• Garlic chives and lemon balm.
Sherry Vinegar with:
• Cloves, ½ teaspoon of allspice and cinnamon, and rosemary.
• Basil, tarragon, and garlic cloves.
Cider Vinegar with:
• Horseradish, garlic cloves, and chili peppers.
• Garlic cloves, dill, and pickling spices.
Be creative and combine herbs and spices to match how you will use the vinegar – salad dressings, barbeque sauce, slices cucumbers, beets, slaw, and many more dishes.