For St. Paddy's Day, we all become a little Irish and might go to a pub for beer and a beef pie. This one allows you to prepare the stew ahead of time and refrigerate for up to three days. The refrigerated biscuits cut into shamrocks create a celebration fit for a leprechaun, and his friends!!
Pub Pot Pie
Serving Size : 4
1 1/2 pounds round steak -- 1/2-inch cubes
1 Tablespoon oil
1 cup onion -- diced
3/4 cup carrot -- diced
1/2 cup celery -- diced
1/4 cup masa harina
1/2 cup beef broth
1/4 cup chili sauce
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup corn -- frozen
1 can refrigerated biscuits
1. Place diced meat on a large platter and pat dry with paper towels. Using non-stick spray, prepare a large dutch oven and heat over a medium flame. Sear the meat on all sides and remove to a bowl with its juice.
2. Heat oil in the dutch oven. Sauté onions until golden. Add carrots and celery and sauté together for about 5 minutes.
3. Sprinkle the masa harina over the vegetables and stir well to coat. Add a half cup of the broth to the pan and stir the vegetables to make a very thick broth. Stir the chili sauce into the mixture until well blended.
4. Stir in the remaining beef broth and reserved meat with collected juices. Cover and allow to simmer for 20 minutes or until the meat is tender.
5. Prepare the refrigerated biscuit dough into shapes. Place in the oven to bake the specified time on the package until golden brown.
6. When biscuits have about two minutes left, add the corn to the stew mixture, and turn off the heat.
7. Place one large round prepared biscuit in the bottom of the pot pie bowl. Ladle stew over, and add biscuit shapes to the top. Enjoy!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving : 461 Calories; 25g Fat (46.8% calories from fat); 39g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 101mg Cholesterol; 637mg Sodium.
NOTES : To easily make this dish for 6 persons, add one 15 ounce can of red kidney beans at the same time the beef is returned to the pot.