3-6-05- A man making breakfast at his Gunter home found himself lucky to escape with his life when a fire on the stove got out of control and the home burned to the ground.
Sonny Cordell says he was preparing breakfast when he left the kitchen for just a few seconds and 36 years of hard work and memories went up in flames. It happened just after 5:00 a.m. Sunday morning on Wall Street Road just west of Gunter off of Highway 121.
Cordell was home alone and he ran out of the house and called 911. Firefighters arrived just moments later, but the home was gone in a matter of minutes. He says it's difficult to look at 36 years of your life reduced to ash and rubble, but he is thankful to have escaped with his life.
The Red Cross was on the scene, but the Cordells are now living with their daughter in Gunter.
Investigators are calling the fire accidental, but they are still investigating.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.