Attorney Sentenced for Charges

5-25-06 - A Sherman attorney who was arrested last month for making abusive 911 calls will serve jail time. Judge Carol Siebman sentenced Lester Vance to 60 days in jail as part of a plea agreement over several charges.

Vance pleaded guilty to one charge of driving while intoxicated - 2nd offense, one charge of leaving the scene of an accident, and one charge of silent or abusive 911 calls.

The judge granted Vance's request that the jail time be served on weekends over 20 consecutive weeks, beginning June 2nd.

The DWI charge is a Class A misdemeanor, while the other two charges are Class B misdemeanors.

Vance was also ordered to pay a $1,000 fine on the DWI charge and his driver's license was suspended for 2 years.

The 911 charge came from an incident on April 15th. Sherman police say Vance called 911 five times in the span of one hour.

In a police report, a supervising police officer states that dispatchers took the 1st call at 10:12pm Saturday. Dispatchers reported to the supervisor that Vance was not calling about an emergency. They directed him to call back on a non-emergency line.

He did, but the dispatchers eventually hung up, claiming that Vance cursed them and did not need emergency assistance.

The calls didn't stop. Over the course on an hour, he’d call a total of seven times, five of them to 911. During one call, the supervisor reported that Vance claimed he had not called 911, and that the supervisor was lying.

Despite numerous warnings from the police supervisor, Vance called back a final time to 911 at 11:04pm. According to the police report, he was asked if he had an emergency. He told the officer that he did and needed immediate police assistance.

When two police officers arrived at his Sherman office at 11:15pm, they say Vance was standing in the open doorway of his office holding a video camera. Officers informed him he was under arrest, they say he backed into his office building and refused to comply with their orders to place his hands behind his back. Both officers grabbed his arms, forced him to the ground, and handcuffed him.=