Fire Damages Sherman Businesses

11-22-06 - Five local fire departments responded to a 2-alarm fire at a Dollar General store in Sherman Wednesday night.

Firefighters responded to the location at Travis Street and U.S. 75 at 6:37pm. They arrived to heavy smoke and flames coming from the department store.

Firefighters fought the fire for more than an hour. They credit an automatic sprinkler system inside for saving the structure. Initial reports indicated that customers may have remained inside the store, so thermal imaging cameras were used to search the building. No one was found inside and no injuries were reported

Firefighters cut a large hole in the roof of the building to allow smoke and heat to be released. Damage estimates to Dollar General top $175,000. Three adjacent businesses suffered smoke damage - Rent way, Sun Shak Tan Salon and Awards Unlimited.

Fire Chief Jeff Jones says they’re still investigating, but they believe the fire may have started in the Christmas decoration section of the store.

Denison, Van Alstyne, Howe and Pottsboro fire departments helped out.

This is the 2nd fire at a Sherman Dollar General store in the last 1.5 years. The location on east Lamar burned to the ground during a large fire on Memorial Day, 2005.