Fire Damages Building at Austin College

By  | 

A motor left on in a mechanical room is being blamed from a Sunday evening fire at Austin College. Sherman Fire Chief Jeff Jones says the attic and roof of Craig Hall were damaged by heavy smoke and flames. Craig Hall is in the northwestern part of campus.

Dispatchers received the initial call around 6pm Sunday, after an employee discovered smoke coming from a mechanical room. No one else was in the building when the fire occured, Jones said.

Austin College employees worked to turn off similar motors running throughout campus. It's unclear what the motors are used for.

"Its just a matter of getting to them and knowing that they're there. We have our physical plant staff come in and make sure to know where each of them are," Vice President of Student Affairs Tim Micrick said.

"Everybody is accounted for. There are no injuries. It's just a matter of battling the freezing weather and cold temperatures," Jones said.

45 Firefighters from Pottsboro, Bells, Denison, Whitesboro, and Howe were called out to assist Sherman on the scene.

As of Sunday night, Austin College officials have not cancelled Monday classes.