4-22-04 - A man filling up a propane tank was badly burned east of Whitesboro on Thursday afternoon. Gerald Armstrong was flown to Parkland Hospital in Dallas where he’s in stable condition.
Investigators say he was transferring propane from a 400-gallon tank in his front yard into a smaller tank in a pickup. A spark ignited a fireball that consumed the pickup and Armstrong. Despite the flames, he managed to make it inside the home where he told his daughter to call 911.
Firefighters brought the fire under control, keeping it from spreading to the large tank and a nearby propane truck.
Ironically, Armstrong worked for a propane company and was taking all precautions at the time. Investigators say it appears to be a freak accident.