Homemade Firecracker Injures Sherman Man

5-10-04 - What appears to be a practical joke went drastically wrong in Sherman on Monday, and may cost a local man part of his hand.

It began in the 3200 block of Marseille Street just before 5pm. Authorities say Ben Sly, 31, was driving by a home when he tried to throw a homemade firecracker at a friend. But the explosive device went off in his hand.

Firefighters described the injury as serious and say Sly may lose some fingers. He was transferred to Parkland Hospital in Dallas.